Bánh mì kẹp thịt (Vietnamese Sandwich)
Bánh mì kẹp thịt, Vietnamese Sandwich, French bread containing paté, Vietnamese mayo, different selections of Vietnamese cold cuts and deli (a large variety, most commonly with ham, head cheese, and a Vietnamese bologna), pickled daikon and carrot, cucumber slices. Often garnished with coriander, black pepper, and jalapeño pepper (optional). This food is common everywhere in Vietnam as a favorite of factory workers and school kids and eaten for any meal of the day, commonly breakfast and lunch. There are a wide variety of banh mi (with different meats) and many shops have popped up across North America serving primarily Banh mi.
The most popular Banh Mi include:
Banh mi xiu mai (Banh Mi with big, juicy meatballs)
Banh mi xa xiu (BBQ Pork)
time to make 25 min 20 min prep
1 teaspoon five-spice powder
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/4 cup shallots, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
12 ounces ground lean pork
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons red chili paste or asian red chili sauce
12 ounces pork tenderloins, cooked and thinly sliced
2 cups English cucumbers, thinly sliced
3 cups mesclun
1/2 cup fresh Thai basil
1/2 cup fried shallots (optional)
3 French baguettes, use light baguette with soft interior and thin crisp crust (8 oz ea.)
How to cook
1. In an 8- 10 inch saute pan over medium/high heat, stir five spice until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
2. Stir in oil, shallots and garlic.
3. Add ground pork and stir often until meat is crumbly and no longer pink.
4. Add soy sauce, sugar and salt and pepper to taste.
5. set aside Cut baguettes in half crosswise then split almost all the way through, leaving halves attached on one side.
6. Spread 1 tsp of chile paste on one cut side of each baguette section.
7. Spoon 1/6 of the warm ground pork mixture (including juices) over the chile paste.
8. Tuck 1/6 of the pork tenderloin slices evenly into each sandwich.
9. Place sandwiches on a sheet pan and bake at 375 for about 5 minutes or until filling is warm and crust is crisp.
10. Remove from oven and fill each with 1/6 of the cucumbers, mesclun, basil and fried shallots.